Genetic Engineering in Agriculture: The Myths, Environmental Risks, and Alternatives
Those are not your grandfather's potato chips.
As debate rages over the costs and benefits of genetically engineered crops, noted agroecologist Miguel Altieri lucidly examines some of the issue's most basic and pressing questions:
* Are transgenic crops similar to conventionally bred crops?
* Are transgenic crops safe to eat?
* Does biotechnology increase yields?
* Does it reduce pesticide use?
* What are the costs to American farmers?
* Will biotechnology benefit poor farmers?
* Can biotechnology coexist with other forms of agriculture?
* What are the known and potential environmental and biological risks?
* What alternatives do we have to genetically modified crops?